- April 17, 2015
On the shelf
1. Cuban rum: Fischer keeps a bottle of Ron Varadero Gran Reserva on a shelf, Cuban rum that you can buy in the Bahamas. “It is spectacular rum,” he says. “This bottle cost about $80.”
2. Telling time: Fischer received a small clock as a token gift for serving as president of the Harley-Davidson dealer council. “I just finished my term in December,” he says.
3. New knees: There's a framed photo of Fischer, 52, and his family on a ski trip to Park City, Utah, three years ago. Fischer says he hadn't been able to ski in recent years because of bad knees from years of motorcycle racing. But he started skiing again after a double-knee-replacement operation. “I skied for the first time in 20 years,” he says.
4. Paul Sands: Fischer says his best friend, Fort Myers commercial real estate broker Paul Sands, died two years ago and a photo of the two smoking cigars reminds him of good times together. “He was somebody I confided in,” Fischer says. The two friends started a fundraiser golf tournament that's since been renamed the Paul Sands Memorial Slaw Dog Invitational. “I love cigars,” Fischer says.
5. Management books: Fischer's favorite management book on his shelf is “The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business,” by Patrick Lencioni. “We live and breathe organizational health,” Fischer says.
On the wall
6. High on the hog: Fischer has a photo of his 64-foot Hatteras boat. It's named High on the Hog, a play on his ownership of Harley-Davidson dealerships. “In the marinas they ask if I'm a pig farmer,” he laughs. He's planning a trip to the Florida Keys and the Bahamas this summer. “I'll bring key members of my team,” he says. “I like to share that stuff.”
7. Hillary Duff: Fischer pinned a photo of him with his wife, Mary, and daughter, Katie, with actress Hillary Duff for a Blessings in a Backpack fundraising event. The charity raises money to pay for food for hungry children. “I'm the chairman of Blessings in a Backpack,” Fischer says. “We're now feeding 1,600 to 1,700 kids a week.”
8. Lance Armstrong: An autographed photo of cyclist Lance Armstrong hangs behind Fischer's desk. He bought it at a charity event. “He's a great hero,” says Fischer, who used to ride 25 miles a day but now prefers daily “boot camp” training at the Omni gym in Fort Myers.
9. Movie poster: For laughs, spare-parts employee Brody Avis created movie posters featuring some of his colleagues. The humorous posters hang in the corporate office in Fort Myers and in the Harley-Davidson stores. This one features Fischer and his mother-in-law, Peggy Christian, who works in the clothing department at the Harley-Davidson store in Fort Myers.
On the desk
10. Happy birthday: There's a stack of employee birthday and anniversary cards for him to sign. “Everyone gets a card,” he says. The company has 250 employees.
11. Ohio State: Fischer, who grew up in Columbus, Ohio, sits in a leather Ohio State University desk chair even though he didn't attend college. Because there are no professional sports teams in Columbus, everyone in that city is an Ohio State fan, he explains. “I'm not that obsessed,” he wants you to know.
12. No clutter: Fischer's desk is uncluttered. “I'm not a saver of stuff,” he says. “I don't collect motorcycles.”