- May 25, 2021
A flurry of post-pandemic activity continues apace at airports across the region, with slew of recent new flight announcements, including:
• Southwest Airlines recently added service from Sarasota Bradenton International Airport (SRQ) to two new destinations. The additional flights will be to Washington, D.C., on a daily basis, and to New York's LaGuardia International Airport, Sunday through Friday. The new flights will begin November 7, 2021.
Additionally, the airline is increasing Saturday service to Dallas to daily, starting November 7, 2021. Southwest will also offer flights to Austin, Texas, from SRQ on various days during the 2021 holiday season;
• Allegiant added a nonstop route to Dulles International Airport from SRQ, which will operate twice weekly.
“We are excited to see Allegiant continue to expand the number of destinations offered at the Sarasota Bradenton International Airport,” SRQ President and CEO Rick Piccolo says in a release."The Washington D.C. area is a popular destination for both business and leisure travelers, and we look forward to having this new low-cost, convenient choice at SRQ.”
• Allegiant added a new nonstop route from St. Petersburg to Wichita, Kansas., beginning Nov. 19, 2021. The route to Eisenhower National Airport (ICT) from St. Pete–Clearwater International Airport (PIE) will operate twice weekly. “We are delighted to welcome Wichita, Kansas to our growing non-stop routes and show our friends from the Midwest our brand of sunshine and smiles here in beautiful St. Pete-Clearwater,” says St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport Director Tom Jewsbury in a statement.
• Alaska Airlines announced it will resume its nonstop service between Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) in Fort Myers and Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) on Nov. 19, 2021. Alaska has also increased the frequency of both flights and will operate daily to LAX and SEA.
• At Punta Gorda Airport in Charlotte County, Allegiant added Minneapolis via Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP), beginning Oct. 8, and to Springfield, Missouri via Springfield-Branson National Airport (SGF), beginning Nov. 19.