A sliver of space: A 2,417-square-foot unit at Mission Square Plaza in Naples has sold. The space inside the 1575 Pine Ridge Road shopping center was bought for $950,000. According to LSI Cos., the Fort Myers firm that represented the buyer, the space is owned and occupied by Gold and Silver Coins of Naples, which buys and sells jewelry, coins and precious metals.The previous owner paid $404,100 for the space in 2005 according to Collier County property records. The center’s current lineup includes Dunkin Donuts, Ackerman Insurance Services, Alleviant Health Centers and Guiseppe and the Lion Italian Restaurant.
Trailer transaction: The Harmony Shores mobile home park in Naples is on the market. The 12.58-acre park, on 5 Bamboo Drive, just off U.S. Highway 41 and near 5th Avenue South and the Bayshore district, has been listed for $24.99 million. The park was heavily damaged during Hurricane Ian in 2022 and has been slowly emptying out since. The property is being marketed as a “redevelopment opportunity” with a “vast potential of uses, and its capitalization of Naples’ affluency.” The current owner is Cove Communities. County records show the Phoenix, Arizona company paid $18.5 million for the park in 2021.
Gym rats: A building housing EoS Fitness in Lutz has sold to a California investor as part of a 1031 Exchange. The 42,311-square-foot gym building at 17634 Harpers Run sold for $13.6 million. EoS recently opened in the space and has a 15-year lease in place. The 3.88-acre property is part of the Cypress Ranch mixed-use development which, when complete, is expected to have 598 residences and 100,000 square feet of office space. The seller was the Barclay Group, which developed and sold two other EoS Fitness facilities locally this year — a 40,350-square-foot property also in Lutz for $13 million and a 40,350-square-foot property in Riverview for $14.3 million.
Holiday shopping: An 8,798-square-foot office center in Holiday was bought at an online auction for $871,000. The winning bidder was a Tampa company named Squeaky Gate. The 0.81-acre, two-building complex is fully fenced in and has space for up to five tenants along with 44 parking spaces and a prominent pylon sign. The property is at 2328 U.S. Highway 19 just north of Tarpon Springs and was built in 1972 and 1987. The property’s previous owner, Southeast Energy Consultants, paid $525,000 for the property according to Pasco County records. It used one of the buildings as a call center. Squeaky Gate, the new owner, is using it as an investment property and a chiropractor and attorney who are current tenants will stay on, says Dee Maret with Bridgewater Commercial Real Estate in St. Petersburg. Vacant space will be leased.
Legal wrangling: A Tampa law firm has leased space in an office recently vacated by Synovus Bank. The firm — Fitzsimmons, Hewitt, Stranzi & Spaid — took over the 6,334 square foot space at the TriPointe Plaza at 4488 W. Boy Scout Blvd. across from International Plaza and a bit more than a mile from Tampa International Airport. The firm, which specializes in personal injury, insurance law and business litigation, is already listing the new location on its website. Synovus moved employees from the space to its new offices in Water Street but kept a first-floor branch in the building, says Elliott Ross, president of The Ross Realty Group. The Tampa commercial real estate firm represented Synovus, a sublandlord, in the deal and announced the move.
Reefer madness: My how things have changed. Curaleaf, a company that sells cannabis products, has opened its second dispensary in the region and its 61st in the state. The new location is at 3704 84th Ave. Circle E., on the Manatee County side of University Parkway. It moved into a space formerly occupied by a Sonic Drive-In. The shop is for medical patients and carries edibles and rosins as well vape pens. It wasn’t all that long ago when the sale of cannabis was on the downlow, but as mores and laws have loosened, dispensaries have been growing, well, like weeds. In addition to the new store, the company has a Sarasota location at 1435 South Tamiami Trail as well as two in Bradenton and one in Englewood. It also has 13 stores in the Tampa Bay market, two in Lakeland and one each in Port Charlotte, Fort Myers and Bonita Springs.
Shopping center legend: Gerald “Jerry” Higier, the founder and chairman emeritus of Southeast Centers, died in South Florida Dec. 3. He was 85. While many outside the commercial real estate industry may not know him, they most definitely are acquainted with his work. Higier founded Southeast in 1978 after stepping away from practicing law seven years earlier and became a leading developer of grocery-anchored shopping centers in Florida. According to the firm, during his career, which included creating a development program in the mid-1970’s with Lakeland-based Publix, he developed 40 centers throughout South Florida totaling in excess of 4 million square feet. Today, the company owns 10 centers along the Gulf Coast — nine of them anchored by Publix. The one without the Publix is The Shoppes at Sarasota Row in the city’s downtown. It is anchored by a 36,051-square-foot Whole Foods.
If you have news, notes or tips you want to pass along, contact [email protected]. Or you can text or call 727-371-6944.
Louis Llovio is the commercial real estate editor at the Business Observer. Before going to work at the Observer, the longtime business writer worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Maryland Daily Record and for the Baltimore Sun Media Group. He lives in Tampa.