Newsmakers is available free of charge.
• Stephen A. Smith & Associates Advertising hired Scott Spear as senior art director. Spears will be responsible for the concept and creation of broadcast and print advertising. He previously worked for Beall's Department Stores as art director.
• Westwater Construction Inc. hired Jimmy L. Stewart as director of business development. Stewart will be responsible for the sales and marketing of the company's new construction division. He previously worked as a sales manager for The Concession.
• WCI also hired Daniel A. Newell as project director. Newell will oversee all aspects of construction management in the company's eastern division. He previously worked as director of construction with Peachtree Homes in Tampa.
• IBA Consultants, a Miami-based firm, promoted Wayne Offerman to vice president in the Sarasota office. He previously worked as senior consultant with IBA.
• Dee Dee Gatch, director of career resource centers at Manatee Community College, has been elected the 2005-06 vice president of the Florida Career Professional Association (FCPA). The group helps build Florida's workforce by partnering with career professionals in education, government and industry to promote innovative internships, cooperative education and career opportunities.
• Sarasota Opera's Executive Director Susan T. Danis recently accepted the position of secretary with the OPERA America Board of Directors. OPERA America is the service organization for opera in North America and it serves the interests of more than 125 professional opera companies.
• Williams, Parker, Harrison, Dietz & Getzen announced that shareholder E. John Wagner II has been granted board certification in taxation by the Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education. Wagner represents high net worth individuals in tax, estate planning and business matters. He serves as president of The Tax Deferred Exchange Co.
• Kirk Pinkerton PA hired Laura S. Bauman as an associate in the Sarasota office. Bauman previously worked as a law clerk in the Kirk Pinkerton office. She will focus on residential real estate.